Etude 2 - Arpeggios, Forms
This is four arpeggios (Maj7, 7, m7, m7b5) in all 7 positions (). I play this every morning of my life. It only takes 2.5 minutes. It takes a while to learn them, but once you start playing them every day, the revelations are countless.
Principles in My Daily Etudes
• Start at 100: The first goal is *thinking* it faster, not playing faster.
• Mezzo forte throughout; a light touch forgives tentative attack.
• Play figure in all 7 forms (CAGED+2) with no shifts in fret position.
• Play straight 8ths; no time signature or implied downbeats.
• Play from highest to lowest available notes across all 6 strings.
• Start at the top, descending. The next figure begins at the bottom, ascending.
• Cycle in 4ths for the six months, then 2nds and m3rds.
• When transitioning between figures, double no notes.
• First 1000 times, no accents. Next 100, accent only the root.
If you have questions, ask. I'm not selling anything. As an old man, I'm just trying to pass on what I've learned after 55 years of toil because I wish I had known it at age 15.
Demo of +2 positions: