Principals in My Daily Etudes
If you have questions, ask. I'm not selling anything. As an old man, I'm just trying to pass on what I've learned after 55 years of toil because I wish I had known it at age 15.
• Start at 100: The first goal is thinking it faster, not playing faster.
• Mezzo forte throughout; a light touch forgives tentative attack.
• Play figure in all 7 forms (CAGED+2) with no shifts in fret position.
• Use the mechanism for all four chord types (Maj7, m7 ,7, m7b5)
• Play straight 8ths; no time signature or implied downbeats.
• Play from highest to lowest available notes across all 6 strings.
• Start at the top, descending. The next figure begins at the bottom, ascending.
• Cycle in 4ths for the six months, then 2nds and m3rds.
• When transitioning between figures, double no notes.
• First 1000 times, no accents. Next 100, accent only the root.
Demo of +2 positions: